It is important that students and families who orient themselves towards a study abroad path are aware that participation in such experiences involves the involvement of the student’s cognitive, emotional and relational resources, reconfiguration of values, identities, behavior and learning in a optics that contribute to the development. of transversal skills, in addition to the more specific ones related to the disciplines. But what happens during the student’s stay abroad and what tasks do the school’s various actors have?
During your stay abroad
During the stay abroad, we read in the guidelines of the famous “Lorenzo Guetti” Institute of Higher Education in Tione di Trento, managed with great competence and excellent managerial qualities by Dr. Alessandro Fabris, the student:
- guarantees schooling;
- communicates the name and e-mail address of the foreign school’s contact person to the tutor as soon as possible and informs the subjects who have actually participated; And
- maintains contact with the tutor via e-mail and communicates the topics covered and any other useful information, even by sending documentation, to keep the class council informed;
- takes care of the preparation of any subjects that are present in the institute’s study plan and are not dealt with abroad;
- takes care of the preparation regarding any training deficiencies assigned in the previous classes.
The supervisor’s role during the stay abroad
What is the role during the stay abroad and what does the tutor do:
- keeps in touch with the foreign school’s contact person; for this purpose, the student will ensure, upon arrival, to provide the necessary email address to activate contacts;
- keeps the class council informed about the development of the student’s experience abroad;
- regularly informs the student about the development of the programs in his/her class;
- communicates to the class council the content of the courses the student follows and provides useful information for his reintegration into school;
- collects from the Class Council the essential disciplinary content for admission to the next class, which it conveys to the student.
- together with the foreign affairs officer and the student, gradually builds a dossier/portfolio of the experiences abroad, in which a number of documents useful for the Class Council can be inserted for evaluation.
The student’s dossier / portfolio can be read in the guidelines of the famous “Lorenzo Guetti” Institute of Higher Education in Tione di Trento, it must contain at least:
- information about the foreign school and its study plan;
- the study plan the student actually follows;
- the programs actually completed in the subjects followed;
- documentation of any educational and social experiences (e.g. voluntary work, ..) that are also of importance with a view to attributing the honor upon return and the experience of school-work exchange;
- the assessments reported in the foreign school;
- any useful documentation for subjects not taken abroad.
This year’s class council for participation abroad:
The Class Council can be read in the guidelines of the famous “Lorenzo Guetti” Institute of Higher Education in Tione di Trento, directed with great competence and excellent organizational and application qualities of the current legislation by Dr. Alessandro Fabris in the year he participated abroad:
- verify, as soon as possible, the elements collected by the tutor and the documentation contained in the dossier;
- determines, if possible before the student’s return from abroad or at the latest upon return, in the event that the student must submit additional documentation that is useful for the assessment, whether a supplementary interview is necessary, which is only oral, as written tests are excluded, in relation to the basic subjects necessary for successful participation in the following school year and for the purpose of awarding credit;
- the subjects to be ascertained are a maximum of four, between address and non-address subjects, also taking into account the disciplines followed abroad and taking into account that the skills acquired by the student, and not only knowledge of the professional content must be valued. The grade should not be understood based on the entire school year’s program carried out in Italy by the class, but only on some basic cores indispensable for the study of the same discipline in the following school year, established by the disciplinary departments;
- the interviews will take place on a single day in the presence of all the teachers involved and the class coordinator;
- since it is difficult to establish valid criteria for all foreign schools and school systems, the Class Council will be able to flexibly assess the individual case while respecting the educational and cultural value of the mobility experience. The guiding criterion is to reinforce the positive and establish only what is absolutely indispensable and preparatory for a successful participation in the school year after the one carried out abroad;
- if the student has completed the study year abroad at an Italian school with a curriculum recognized by the MIUR, he/she will not have to take any supplementary interview upon returning to the home school.