Covid vaccine for children under 5 years of age: The FDA has approved the administration of the vaccine against COVID-19 for children from 6 months to 4 years
Covid vaccine for children under 5 years of age
IN USA Food and Drug Administration authorized the administration of Covid vaccine for children under 5 years of age. The FDA’s recommendation came a few days ago: the agency officially announced “that the known and potential benefits of the anti-Covid vaccines developed by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna outweigh the known and potential risks in pediatric populations”.
In the FDA memo, Commissioner Robert Califf explains:
Many parents, healthcare professionals and doctors have been waiting for a vaccine for younger children and this action will help protect babies over 6 months. As we have seen with older age groups, we expect vaccines for younger children to provide protection against the more serious outcomes of Covid-19, such as hospitalization and death.
Which vaccines are approved?
The authorization was unanimously signed by vaccination consultants from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Saturday.
The FDA recommendation covers Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines. In particular:
- the vaccine of Modern can be given to children aged 6 months to 17 years;
- vaccines Pfizer-BioNTech it was already approved for children over 5 years and can now also be administered to the youngest: in the interval 6 months-4 years.
Leana Wen, emergency physician and professor of health policy and management at the George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health, explained to CNN that the FDA and its external consultants have undergone a rigorous process and performed independent analyzes of data presented by Pfizer. / BioNTech and Moderna.
They concluded that three doses of the Pfizer vaccine and two doses of the Moderna vaccine are safe and produce a strong immune response, on a par with the antibody response in young adults. They also observed that both vaccines reduced symptomatic infection in this age group.
How the Covid vaccination will be performed on children under 5 years of age
- The vaccine Modern administered in two doses, one month later, to subjects aged between 6 months and 17 years. Any third booster dose may also be permitted at least one month after the second dose.
- The vaccine Pfizer-BioNTech administered in three doseswhere the first two doses are given at three-week intervals, followed by a third dose given at least eight weeks after the second dose.
And in Italy?
What is the data from the Covid epidemic in Italy?
The extended weekly report of the Istituto Superiore di Sanità notes some key points:
- the effectiveness of the vaccine during the period of prevalence of Omicron, therefore from 3 January 2022, i prevent cases of serious illness it is 69% for those who have been vaccinated with a complete cycle of less than 90 days, 68% with a complete cycle of 91 and 120 days, 71% for those who have completed the vaccination cycle for more than 120 days, 87% for they were vaccinated with boosters.
- IN Prevention of infection the effect is 41% within 90 days after the end of the vaccination course, 32% between 91 and 120 days and 46% after 120 days after the end of the course or 55% with a booster dose.
- That cases of re-infection: in the last week, the percentage of re-infections out of the total number of reported cases was 7.4%, therefore an increasing number. Healthcare professionals, young people between the ages of 12 and 49 and women are most at risk (a figure “probably due to the greater presence of women in schools where intensive screening is carried out and the fact that women more often play the role of relatives in the family”). .
What awaits us in the coming months?
Probably following the FDA’s decision, the vaccine for children under 5 will also be approved by the EMA and therefore in Europe.
As reported by ANSA, according to the Deputy Secretary of Health Pierpaolo Sileri “We want updated vaccines and a passage of the virus, which among the vaccinated will cause very little harm.” It will therefore be a matter of experiencing “a transition from pandemic to endemic, and as is happening with influenza virus, there will be epidemics as it is happening during the winter period of influenza, and we will have resurgence in a population that, however, largely is protected “.
The advice always remains the same: keep it maybe in crowded places and where there is crowds.