Huggy Wuggy: The nature of a horror video game is very popular with children, but it is stated from the age of 13. Here is everything parents need to know
You may have seen a new one at the stalls or in the shops snowman for sale that children insistently ask you to buy. No wonder it has had a strange effect on you and looks a little creepy: it really is! Let’s talk about Huggy Wuggy, a monster with sharp teeth and a bad expression. He’s not a fancy Monster & Co-style monster: he’s the main character in the latest video game, which is becoming popular among the very young, and which has alerted parents, educators and even the police. Today we explain you who is Huggy Wuggy and why our kids should not play this video game.
In this article
Huggy Wuggy is the main character in a horror game called “Poppy Playtime“which involves an unnamed protagonist investigating a mystery in an abandoned toy factory. The player wanders around the factory collecting VHS tapes to solve the mystery of what happened. While trying to solve the riddles, one must also survive “vengeful toy” with at the factory, such as Huggy Wuggy, one of the most popular and visually eerie characters in the game.
It is a giant and scary blue creature with bulging eyes, big red lips and long limbs following us as we try to complete the game. It unexpectedly shows up in the dark to try to imprison us in a “hug to the last breath”. If we get caught, Huggy Wuggy opens his sinister smile and eats us.
The video game can be downloaded for a fee on PC or tablet, it has one PEGI 13, which means children under 13 should not download it. Nevertheless, the Huggy Wuggy phenomenon has become very popular, especially among the youngest children, to the point that in some countries, such as the United Kingdom, controls have been initiated handed over to the cyber police to assess the consequences of the phenomenon.
From games to TikTok
Huggy Wuggy has become extremely popular with children thanks to video of Me against you. Still, it’s not a video game for kids, and even just watching the videos on TouTube can scare the little ones. The problem actually concerns not only the game itself, but above all the videos on YouTube and TikTok: just think that the hashtag “huggywuggy” has over 2.9 billion views on TikTok.
Some videos have spooky and scary animations or actual jumpscare.
Why Children Should Not Play Huggy Wuggy
There are several risks that can arise from exposing children and adolescents to frightening content before they are mature enough. Between these:
- Anxiety and stress: children do not have the emotional maturity to be able to process scary content, even if they consciously choose to access it. Horror games could hinder emotional growth by creating unnecessary anxiety and stress.
- Obsessive thoughts: the classic Black Man can easily become just the Huggy Wuggy who is the main character in their spare time during the day. This triggers a whole range of fears that occur especially in the evening and at night, and disrupts sleep with nightmares. This means that they may suddenly seem afraid of seemingly innocent things that had never triggered any fear before that moment.
Why do children love horror games and videos?
- The tension of fear: just as it happens when you watch a horror movie, playing creepy video games means you have to measure yourself and show that you are brave;
- A sense of community: With the ability to play in multiplayer mode, children play with other friends, which not only makes them feel less scared, but consolidates the feeling of not being alone;
- Breaking the rules: If the children know that they can do nothing, they are extremely satisfied when they still manage to do it, and above all, they want to do it again and again.
When to worry?
It is good to reflect and ask questions when the child:
- no longer seems concentrated in daily tasks and activities;
- change appetite;
- prefers to stay home to play video games;
- have nightmares and interrupted sleep;
- is irritable, becomes easily angry and cries;
- he seems agitated and anxious.
What to do?
First of all, let’s always remember it, even if we use it regularly filters and parental controls on YouTube and video games it does not mean that we can sleep peacefully and do not pose any problems. Unfortunately, videos that are unsuitable for the little ones can often be accessed anyway, they have captivating and seemingly harmless titles. So we often check what games and content our child has access to.
If we realize that he has been exposed to a content that scares him:
- we turn off the device;
- encourage him to think of something else that makes him happy;
- we talk to him to give him the opportunity to express how he feels and to represent him a reference adult that he can count on.
It is important for the children to know that they can come and talk to us without fear of being judged.